Withdrawal, Refund or Repayment of Aid

Return of Title IV Federal Student Aid Policy

If you withdraw completely from school during the semester, a portion of the total amount of Federal Title IV aid disbursed to you must be returned to the financial aid programs. The portion that must be returned is based on the percentage of time  you remained enrolled in school.

For Example: A student who remains enrolled for 10% of a semester will be eligible to keep 10% of the total Title IV aid disbursed to him/her. The balance (or 90%) must be returned to the Title IV program(s). Similarly, a student who remains enrolled for 60% of a semester will be eligible to keep 60% of the total Title IV aid disbursed to him/her. The balance (or 40%) must be returned to the Title IV program(s).

In addition, you begin attendance and do not officially withdraw, you must complete at least one class with a passing grade (A, B, C, or D), or a repayment must be processed based on the mid-point of the semester.

NOTE: No Title IV aid funds are required to be returned if the student remains enrolled for more than 60% of the semester before completely withdrawing.

Title IV Aid & Order of Return

  1. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
  2. Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
  3. Federal Pell Grant
  4. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  5. Talent Incentive Program (TIP)
  6. Funds are not returned to the Federal Work-Study Program

Date of Withdrawal

The Date of Withdrawal is the date you provide official notification to NWTC's Enrollment Services (Student Center, SC139) of your intent to completely withdraw from school. If you unofficially withdraw from school, the Financial Aid Office will use the midpoint of the semester to establish your date of withdrawal.

How No Show Grades Affect Financial Aid

A grade of No Show (NS) is assigned when a student enrolls in a course but does not attend or does not complete course requirements as outlined in the syllabus. Instructors determine when a grade of NS is appropriate based on the course requirements. For full semester in-person classes (17 weeks), a NS grade will be assigned after the third week for non attendance. For all other delivery modes a grade of NS will be assigned when a student enrolls but does not attend.

If a student's enrollment status changes due to a grade of NS or due to dropping a late starting class before it begins, the student may owe a financial aid repayment.

Financial aid is disbursed to students at the start of each semester; however, it is not fully earned until the end of the semester. Eligibility is determined by a student's enrollment and completion of courses for each semester. Grades of NS may change a student's enrollment status.

Students receiving financial aid that receive NS grades may be required to repay a portion of their financial aid based on any change to their enrollment status. If a student receives a NS grade that changes their enrollment status (see chart below) financial aid must be recalculated. Courses for which a grade of NS is received do not count toward a student's semester credit load.

Courses that begin after the start of the semester will not be counted for eligibility unless the student enrolls and attends the course. Students that drop these courses before they begin may not receive a NS grade, but may have their financial aid recalculated if the drop changes their enrollment status.

The chart below outlines each enrollment status based on total credits during a semester:


Full-time 12+ credits
3/4-time 9-11 credits
Half-time 6-8 credits
Less than half-time 1-5 credits


Summer Term = 6 or more credits and dependent on remaining aid eligibility.

For more information about how enrollment changes will affect your eligibility, contact the Financial Aid Office before making any changes to your enrollment.


At the time you withdraw, the Student Finance Office will automatically use all or a portion of your institutional refund as payment toward the amount that must be returned to the Title IV programs. You may also be required to repay a portion of the aid funds that were disbursed to you after your charges had been paid. You will be notified/billed for any grant funds that must be repaid immediately.

Failure to resolve the repayment within 45 days will result in your account being sent to the U.S. Department of Education for Collection and a HOLD being placed on all future financial aid eligibility. You will not be allowed to obtain grades and/or an academic transcript. Student loan funds are to be repaid in accordance with the terms of the loan.

Post-Withdrawal Disbursement

The Financial Aid Office will determine if your are eligible to receive Title IV funds that were awarded but not yet disbursed to you at the time of your withdrawal from school. If you are eligible for a post-withdrawal disbursement, we will first apply these funds to your outstanding college charges (if any). Any remaining amount of the post-withdrawal disbursement will be released to you.

Class Refunds

If you owe a grant repayment or have an outstanding student loan, any class refund due to you may be claimed by the Financial Aid Office and returned to the lender or the proper financial aid account. Click here to view the Refund Policy.